Eleven Ways to Get Inspired When You Need It Most
We all hit our proverbial wall at different times in our lives. We know what it feels like to be burned out. But burn out can be a great reminder that something isn’t working and we need to step back for a minute to recharge and reconfigure. Here are some of my favorite ways:
1. Coffee in a coffee shop. There is something about the comforting coffee aroma combined with the music and the type of people who like to hang out at coffee shops talking about life, art and dreams that always inspires me.
2. Music. Music can soothe you or give you energy. Whenever I need a happy boost I put on Jimmy Buffett or Zac Brown which instantly takes me to the beach (my happy place!).
3. Go on a walk. Don’t allow yourself to look at the phone (hard I know) but look where you are going. Think. You will be amazed with how new solutions and ideas present themselves.
4. Take a day off and organize. I know most people will think I am crazy using a vacation day to clean and organize. However, with a two year old, my house stays in a chaotic mess and I rarely have time to organize. I took a day off last year while he was in daycare (killed me to send him to school when I was off) and organized all day. The result was a serene home for several weeks. Well worth the price of a vacation day!
5. Clean and organize your work space. Bring in some new items that inspire you to decorate your space. I am currently working on this goal myself. I have cleaned and organized my office so now it is time to make it pretty. I am working with outdated brown furniture but I will do my best to do something with it. After all, we spend so much time in our office!
6. Paint your nails. Get a pedicure. Dress up. When you feel like you look good, you feel good.
7. Do something frivolous or fun. Sometimes we get burned out because we get into a robotic routine. Break that routine and do something just for the fun of it.
8. Read something inspiring. Whether it is a blog post, a magazine article or a book, reading new ideas and perspectives can be the inspiration you need.
9. Take a long weekend and go somewhere new. It could be the next town over but change your place and your perspective will change.
10. Prayer. Yoga. Meditation. Mindfulness. Connect with the bigger purpose of why we are working so hard.
11. Take something off your schedule! Yes, you can do that. If you are overwhelmed chances are you have too much going on and can’t focus on quality work. You want to be able to really enjoy the things in your life and give your focus to a few areas. Start by deleting items off your to do list!
What do you do to get inspired?